Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ducks

It is the most perfect weather for being outside today!  After swim lessons this morning and lunch when we got home we made sure to get a lot of outside time.  We started out by going for a bike ride, which didn't last for long because it's been a while and Emily's legs supposedly got tired (it's a start, we need to do it more often again).

There is this great little duck pond that we would pass by every day on the way home from Emily's preschool.  Every day I'd pass by and remind myself that we really needed to go and hang out there, but like so many things, we never got around to it.  Today was the day!  We stopped and got a couple of super cheap loaves of bread on the way; I love fun for $2! She was so excited to follow the ducks and see which ones would eat out of her hand.  She didn't count on them being so brave that they'd try and steal bread from her now and then.  And I found out the ducks hiss...I didn't know that!  I laughed at myself because I'd see one hissing at another and my motherly instinct kicked in so I'd purposely not give the mean duck any bread.  I'm such a dork! :)  We stayed for at least an hour, although I could have sat there and relaxed all afternoon.



Her favorite part seemed to be throwing little pieces of bread in the water and watching the tiny black ducks all scramble to get a piece of it. It was so fun to watch her laugh at them, and I loved the little jump she'd do every time she'd go to throw another piece really far!  This is definitely something we can add to our once a week list.



5 comments:

4handfulls said...

She's brave by the geese! We love our Duck Pond too. I save up all the heals and extra pancakes in the freexer adn when the bag is full I know it's time for a trip to the pond.

Mrs. X said...

Great idea! That's another one I'll have to steel from you. :)

nana_sherri said...

Looks like she had a great time with the ducks & geese! It's always fun to watch kids feed the animals.

Jen and Dakota said...

She is so dang cute! I love her laugh! So much fun! Miss you!

Amber said...

It looks like such a nice day! I can't wait for some warm spring weather to show up around here!